My Year in the US: California

It’s 12:21 am and I have a lot of homework to do. I have a lot of pre-calc exercises and a chemistry lab.  They will probably take just around 20 to 30 minutes but I’m an awesome procrastinator. Therefore I, Moe, decided to write my first journal of my exchange year. IT’S GOING TO BE ABOUT CALIFORNIA, YEAH BABY! (Sorry)

Day 1: Friday

I decided to sleep over Daniel’s house because his mom is hosting another exchange student, Rilvan from Indonesia. So I wake up in the morning at about six am, I take a quick shower, shave my facial hair with a disposable razor (first time I use those), eat a bowl of cereal, pack up and get ready to leave. On our way, we share a can of Rockstar energy drink because we only had one left and we all went to sleep at like 3 am.

We’re at the Central United Methodist Church parking lot, it’s where we’re supposed to meet. Everyone was there! Tala was there but she was obviously not happy and craving some extra sleep, Ramsha was jumping around with her semi-Indian smile, Ali was being Ali and MOHAMMAD KHAN was just standing there with his cheeky look. There was also this Japanese guy, Teru, whom I didn’t like very much. Ten minutes later, Dominick arrived with all his awesomeness. We also had a lot of other students that I like like Nastiya from Russia, Jamil from Philippines, Mandy from Netherlands and Paulina from Germany. Yes, I do realize most of them are girls but I have to say that most guys are unbearable.

We hopped into a van and it took us about eight hours of driving through traffic while stopping several times at gas stations to get to Oceanside from Phoenix. Being crammed in a small van does not make it any easier. Lots of racist jokes were exchanged between me and Esmaralda, an American from Mexico. She doesn’t like me now.

Anyway, we’re there. We decided to go down and walk on the beach regardless of everything. I decided to just walk on the sand because I’m wearing running shoes and jeans but the waves decided to go off their normal track and splash me. Ramsha told me to just get into the water and I did. She was very happy that I was having fun. I ended up walking barefoot to the hotel though. I decided to walk by Mandy and I discovered she’s adorable although a bit shy.

I slept on the balcony on a sleeping mattress that was leaking. I woke up to find my self sleeping on the concrete floor.

Day 2: Saturday

We wake up at freaking 6:30 in the morning and we have quick breakfast. Bagel it is I guess. We then get quickly dressed and headed to Knott’s Berry Farm. At the door, I made my usual racist jokes and asked Esmaralda if she’s gonna hope over the fence or buy a ticket. She did not take it very lightly and hit me.

We’re in the farm, my group includes me, Ali, Tala, Farah, Dominick and Cameron. Cameron refuses to stay with us and just wanders off leaving his phone with Ali. We decide to go on one of the scariest rides at first, I was yellow and red because I was frightened. I’m simply scared of these kinds of rinds because I’ve never been on them! To my surprise, they were really fun! The shimmering feeling going through my spine was the best part of it. I was able to get on another four or five rides before my stomach started to feel funny and I felt like I’m going to throw up. My friends went on three other rides without me but that was it. We then called Kristen, one of the people responsible for us and told her Cameron wandered off. Aziza and Charlotte (Cameron’s mom) called Cameron’s phone that was with us. I have feeling he got himself into trouble.

We were able to leave on time and got on the bus to the train station so we can take the train back home. We arrived early so we stopped to take a lot of pictures there. On the train back, I wore a flower crown and was announced as a princess. They also tried to take a picture of me while I slept like we do to everyone else but they failed.

We’re back at the hotel, we had dinner and now we’re just watching Futurama on Netflix. Guess that’s it for that day.

Day 3: Sunday

We have nothing to do for today so it’s BEACH DAYYYY. However, since I’m not an idiot and I don’t want to be sunburned, I went during the afternoon while wearing sunscreen. It was mainly me and Dominick who went during that time then we caught up with the other group that included Ali, Esmaralda, Mandy, Farah, Tala, Miral, Neena, Lala, Manahil and Nastiya. Later on, Cameron, Joaquin, Mohamad Khan and Branden joined so we started playing some ball game. I sucked at it.

That day went by pretty fast, we spent a few hours watching Futurama and How I Met Your Mother too. I also had a pretty good time talking to Paulina for the first time and having fun conversations with Mollie, Kristen, Aziza and Charlotte. AYUSA people are simply awesome.

Day 4: Monday

This weekend was pretty quick. I didn’t feel it pass… We woke up early and packed our stuff and got ready to leave. The van trip this time was much shorter for some reasons and it was more fun. I stuffed an oreo in Teru’s mouth while he was sleeping and a bottle of water and an orange in Mohamad Khan’s. We also found these interesting products at a gas station in Arizona called “candoms”, they’re apparently can holders. “When drinking at random, use a candom.”

We’re back at the church, Katrina (Daniel’s mom) came to pick me and Rilvan up. I hugged everyone goodbye. They were family now.

Leave a Reply